Put a twist on your Christmas dinner this year by offering your guests this moist Christmas turkey roll created by chef Tom Kerridge. It features a crunchy topping and a bacon stuffing.
For the crumble topping
For the stuffing mix
For the turkey
1. For the crumble topping, crush the pork scratchings and the sourdough pieces in a bowl. Add the pistachios, cranberries and thyme. Mix with your hands and set aside in a covered container.
2. For the stuffing, mix all ingredients together apart from the bacon.
3. Trim any bits of fat or membrane from the turkey. With a sharp knife, open out the turkey breast as if you are butterflying it. Place the turkey between two sheets of cling film and flatten it out a little with a rolling pin.
4. Cut two large pieces of aluminium foil and lay the turkey breast on top. Season with salt and pepper. Spread a generous dollop of the stuffing mix in a 5mm/1/4in layer onto the turkey breast and then use the foil to help you roll it up like a Swiss roll. Completely encase the turkey in the two layers of foil and secure with cook’s string at regular intervals along the length of the roll. Place in the fridge until needed.
5. Preheat the oven to 120C/250F/Gas1/2.
6. Add 400ml/14floz boiling water to a deep roasting tin. Place a wire rack in the tin and place the rolled turkey breast on top. Cover the roasting tin with aluminium foil.
7. Roast in the oven for 1 1/2 – 2 hours, then check the core temperature with a meat thermometer. You are looking fora temperature of 70C/160F. If it is not ready, place back into the oven and continue to cook. Once cooked, remove from the oven, cover with aluminium foil and set aside to rest for 40 minutes. When cool, remove the string and foil.
8.For the stuffing, preheat the oven to 170C/325F/Gas 3 and line a terrine mould or flameproof bowl with the streaky bacon, leaving some excess hanging over the sides. Pack the mould with the remaining stuffing mix and wrap the bacon over the top.
9. Bake in the oven for 45 minutes, or until the middle has reached 70C/160F on a meat thermometer. When cooked, remove from the oven and set aside to rest for 20 minutes.
10. After 20 minutes, turn out the stuffing and pat dry. Heat the grill to hot, then grill the stuffing until the bacon is crisp.
11. When rested, remove the turkey from the roasting tin and brush a thick layer of brown sauce over the top. Cover with the Christmas crumble mix, top with a little orange zest and serve straight away with the stuffing.
Connect with us
View by date
Utilise your Stamp Duty Holiday saving and treat yourself to a proper removal company for your next move. You’re excited about your new home and location but the process of packing, organising and actually moving all of your items is something no-one really ever looks forward to. Not only that but you also have …Read more...
Last month, house prices hit a new all-time high as the Stamp Duty Holiday boosted buyers enthusiasm The average price of a home was £241,604 in July, which was 3.8% higher than July 2019. These figures from Halifax mirror those from the Nationwide Building Society and show demand is up for properties, which has …Read more...
When selling your home, first impressions count, so you need to ensure your front garden will entice potential buyers – and not turn them away After lockdown, garden space has become the number 1 thing families are looking for when buying a new home. The good news is that you don’t need to spend …Read more...
Whether you want to entertain guests, top up your tan or have a water fight with the kids, it’s nice to have a private outdoor space which you can relax and enjoy without the peering eyes of your neighbours As we’re all spending more time in our gardens, whether that’s to the front, side …Read more...
Over lockdown, with more people working from home, the need for good broadband speed and reliability is no longer a nice-to-have, but a MUST have for lots of people. We’ve all been there recently. Your kids are watching YouTube videos or gaming, the husband is streaming the football, your daughter is on Facetime with …Read more...